9A block from Audi 88 update

Holy crap - you're making me dizzy w/ all of the mostly-incoherent blathering
on about blocks, trannies, meh...

To wit:  the 3A came in an 8v config in Audis, the 9A in a 16v config in VWs.
The ABA block is considered by some to be more sturdy due to its better rod-
ratio. This benefit will really only be realized in the highest-rpm race
configurations. When used in conjunction when used w/ a 16v head, the ABA will
have a lower compression. As is, that's been stated to be somewhere in the 8.0
to 8.5 region which is good for high-boost applications, but may be piggish in
the low rpms. The same goes for the 3A (except the Rod Ratio part). For the ABA
application, there's a trick to re-raise the compression by rebushing certain
rods and such, but I don't have time to go into it right now.

Dave B - the best advice I can give you is go bury yourself in the Hybrid/Swap
and Forced Induction forums on the Vortex. It's fascinating reading. And BTW -
I mentioned getting the 3A distributor because it's 1) plug-n-play w/ the
3A/ABA blocks when used w/ knock-sensing ignition in the 8v config and 2)
valuable enough to sell on the side if you end up not needing it...

HTH, JT