rough starts

--- steve hartman <shyrockfreak@hotmail.com> wrote:

my problem is that when i go to start it
> from it sitting over
> night, it takes forever and most of the time it won't
> start unless i fiddle
> with the key while trying to crank it, i.e. after letting
> it crank a few
> cycles, i'll let the key go and turn it back to start.
> the motor will sound
> like compression is released then it'll start.  when it's
> warm it'll will
> take a few cycles and mostly start right up, sometimes
> i'll let go of the
> key after a few cycles and it'll start.  i've tried
> changing th cold start
> valve,  i think there's something else....

The first thing I would do is check your grounds and maybe
add a couple.  This is a known weak spot in Sciroccos
especially with the 16v engine.

Then, check to see if the cold start valve is actually
spraying fuel.  Remove the valve and use a container to
catch the fuel.  With the car cold, crank it over and see
if the CSV sprays.  If not, then you might want to look
into what gives the valve it's signal.  (My Bentley is down
in the hangar or I'd go more in depth here....
Incidentally, if you don't have a Bentley manual, GET ONE.
They're worth more than their weight in gold.)

  Removei now have gas
> coming out of the
> fuel pressure regulator ( the part that is right above
> the pump on top of
> the gas tank lip...?!?!)

???

I'm not sure I follow here.  Do you mean the plastic
reservoir above the fuel pump?  That could cause some
issue, but since it's between the tank and the pump I doubt
that's the cause of your starting problem.

The Bentley should list the fuel pressures you're looking
for - it'd be based on the engine management system (i.e.
CIS-E) and not the engine itself.  I would imagine they're
likely identical since both CIS-E and Motronic use the same
fuel pump.  (I think...)

HTH!

Daun Yeagley - Wilmington Ohio
'80 Scirocco                 '81 Scirocco S 16v to be?
'86 Scirocco 8v              '88 Scirocco 16v
'88 Scirocco Slegato (Gino!) '96 Passat GLX Wagon
'56 Cessna 172