Bad Alt?

Fully charge battery (off the car).
Connect battery, but with an ammeter in series on the (-) post.
Observe (assumed) noticeable drain.
Commence removing possible loads (fuses, alt charging line, etc), until current takes drops to negligible.

Previous things I've caught on the herd:
- trunk light interior light switch faulty (a2 jetta)
- faulty audio amplifier (still on even though 'turn-on' lead low)

Note - bad supply to the exciter wire would not cause a drop to 4v overnight, as the car is off for that duration (I assume).

HTH
Al