Help with head replacement on 16V

Those two sensors are the same, both water temp, both should have
spade style connectors.  Don't ask why, but I can tell you that the
by the time VW made the 2L version one of them got a really awesome
metal plug in the hole instead of a redundant sensor.

Around the back of the head corner near the distributor still but
would be facing the firewall, is a "rounded" terminal sensor, that's
the oil temp.

Back down under the distributor, but lower this time, above the
coolant flange with two electrical connectors is the thermotime switch.

Just because it's an amusing sensor story...guess what happens when
you prime a fresh motor on the floor with a drill while leaving the
oil temp sensor safely away from the engine... :-) BTDT.

==Brett