  From: Brian Haygood
  To: haygood@myway.com ; roccit_53@scirocco.cs.uoguelph.ca ; hartsiga@msu.edu
  Cc: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
  Sent: Thursday, November 23, 2006 10:19 PM
  Subject: Re: Strut bearing replacement

  ...forgot to mention...

  Turning the big nut on the top center of the strut bearing will turn the shaft of the strut and not loosen the nut.  With a special wrench, you can still access the allen head socket in the top of the strut to keep it from rotating while you loosen the nut.  Without it, you need an impact wrench.  If you don't have an impact wrench, here's how to "borrow one".

  Get the strut out and the spring compressors on so the nut is ready to come off.  Now take the strut to a local auto shop or lube or tire place.  Walk in one of the bays and get someone's attention.  Hand them a 22mm socket and your strut and ask them if they wouldn't mind using their impact wrench to get that bolt off.  They won't mind - unless you came at a bad time of day, in which case you snag someone else from some other shop.  Have them blast the nut off, then throw the new bearing on and have them blast the nut back on.  Kindly say, " Wow, thanks.  I'da never gotten that off of there.  What do I owe 'ya?"  Unless they are assholes, they will say, "Oh, don't worry about it".  If they are assholes, they might ask for some money.  Tell them, "well, all I've got is a couple of bucks on me right now..." and be glad you didn't have to buy expensive tools for that one nut.

  The next day/hour you will take the other strut to some other place and do the act again, unless you really hit it off with your first guy and he doesn't mind helping out again.  I never had any trouble getting help like this anywhere when I was in college with no air tools.  Works for getting pulleys on and off alternators, too.

  BH