OT: Late-model oil

You know what? I just looked at my manual, and it is pretty useless where
oil is concerned! (The really want you to take it to a dealer) But the
Bentley's not so useless :) For the 2L (up to 2002, in a New Beetle, that's
what my Bentley covers), it takes 4.4 qts, and there are two "types" of oil
on the viscosity chart, one is the "energy conserving multigrade" type, and
the other is "regular multigrade". So in the former "type", there are these
oils, good for -20F to almost 100F, that would be 5W30/5W40, and
10W30/10W40 as they list it, all the same temp range. And there are a whole
batch of oil grades listed in the "regular" section, like 10W60!!! I've
never seen that on the shelves.
So what temp range are you driving in? The "regular" ones seem a bit more
temp specific, and they don't say anything about synthetics vs non
synthetics. And they specify service rating SJ or SL for the gassers, CF or
CG for the diesels. I've always looked for CH, so I guess I'm going by a
newer standard than I need to!
If you need more details on the "regular" oils as per Bentley, drop me a
line.
Cathy