2 Q's

On 11/20/06, Ron Pieper <rapieper@yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- julie@menloparkrandd.com wrote:
> > 2) The fan on the same car is making a HOPRRIBLE noise, like the bearing
> failed. Its constant as
> > the switch moves from setting to setting. Any idea of the cause? (duh,
> bad bearing) but can it
> > be repaired?
>
> It can't be repaired and it's hard to lubricate.  To gain some life from
> failing fans, I have
> always wanted to try some "penetrating grease" - you can shoot it right at
> the bearing through a
> straw - supposed to penetrate like Kroil and set up in a grease
> form.  Like ZEP 2000 - just Google
> "penetrating grease." Good luck - fan replacement can cut the hands some,
> and it's absolute hell
> on a bad back.

I've had good luck with "soaking" the bronze bushing that the shaft turns on
in warm oil for 12-24 hours.  Somebody (don't remember who now, it was too
long ago) explained to me that the bronze bushing was designed to be
impregnated with lubricant for the life of the fan.  When it dries out, the
fan gets noisy, then dies.  Soak it up and you're good to go again.  Pop the
fan out and stand it up bushing end in a tray of warm oil for a day- you're
only trying to soak the bushing, not any other parts of the motor.

I've done this twice (once with gear oil, once with straight 30 engine oil)
on two different fans.  The last time I did it was on Carrots' fan about 6
years ago, when it sounded like the Molson indy on high speed.  The repair
has lasted about 150,000km and the fan still works great.  There's been a
hell of a rattle coming from the front of the car ever since I did it
though, but I'm pretty sure it's not related... :)

Drew

--
84 Wolfsburg Ed. Scirocco GTD mit ?berVerteilerpumpe
http://scirocco.cs.uoguelph.ca/gtd