Diagnose This: Episode 2 - a tribute to Cathy (very long)

Replies within, because it pisses off both top and bottom posters equally...

On 5:16:46 pm 05/29/06 "Chuck Blue" <sukchew@cox.net> wrote:
>     I've been greasy and pissed since Sept when I decided to make a
> few improvements???????????
> But I'm smilimg now.The gathering of the clan approachs.
>  Everything is loaded except me.
> ole blue

Oh yeah, the smile is going on here too. I just have to load up the car and
get the 16V tidied up, that won't take long. Klaus is all ready to go.

> >  Ok, here is a reminder, see under the quote for changes/current
> >  state, and a "Boykoish" story of CIS woes.

Well, Boykoish woes is stretching it, you have no idea how ethnic the
inlaws are...this is more "Cathyish" woes for sure.

> >  Eric S said:
> >>
> >>  On this episode of Diagnose This we bring to you one sluggish VW
> >> Fox.
> >>  Patient details

<car runs like ass>

> >  OK, so, here is what has been done/discovered:
> >
> >  Thanks to Timbo, he reminded me of the retarded restrictor just
> >  before the cat that VWoA installed.  That has been removed and the
> >  cat um...de-catted we shall say (mmmm, platinum dust, cough
> >  cough).  This brought some improvement in driveability/power.
> >
> >  Next, my mechanic told be of a restrictive screen in the main fuel
> >  inlet banjo bolt ...<snippo> This made the car more
> >  rev happy and peppy for sure. So...still think something is wrong
> > with fuel.
> >  Cue Cathy drama:
> >
> >  I decide to do the spray pattern test as well as volume test on the
> >  injectors.  Spray pattern is crap on #3, and it flows a full %25
> >  percent less at full spray than the other 3...the other 3
> >  injectors have not the greatest spray patterns, but ok anyway.
> >
> >  So I swap #3 and #4 injector (sound familiar yet Cathy?)

Nope, mine was misbehaving on number four, but go on....;P

> >  Oh, ok, its time to get experimental!

Oh Lord, not the Frankendistributor from hellll....

> >  Moment of truth, test the injectors and flow one last time, all
> >  looks good.  Pop the injectors in, and fire her up.  WOOT!  Fires
> >  instantly, smells way rich, lol.  Lean it out a bit, idles
> >  beautiful, smooth, no more missing.  But it wont rev at ALL, just
> >  bogs if you give it ANY gas.  Shit I think, this won't work, I'm
> >  gonna have to put the fubared Fox dist back in.  Oh wait,
> >  KNUCKLEHEAD!  Helps if you remember to plug the DPR back
> > in...LOLOL.
> >  Plug it in, and REV BABY!  Oh, you can hear the difference just
> >  revving it at idle...no more boggishness and slow to rev, it SNAPS
> >  to life with just a little twist of the throttle!  NICE!  Still
> >  wierds me out to have some frankenstein fuel dist setup, but the
> >  Fox ECU seems to be happy with it when in closed loop, open loop
> >  is just way too rich (maybe I'll just unhook the cold start
> > injector).
> >  So, its over fueling in open loop mode (cold start), but runs
> >  AWESOME onced warmed and into closed loop mode.  I still have more
> >  power to find, I can tell its still not quite breathing right, and
> >  maybe could use a little more ignition advance, but I can actually
> >  do 90 mph + now, and have a little bottom end torque I never had.
> >  I think she can make it to Cincy now...she really still isn't fast
> >  yet, but am hoping a free flowing intake, exhaust and maybe a
> > little ignition timing fixes that.

Hey, now on to the next fun eh? Coolness that you got some of it sorted
out, and even running like ass, it can go great distances. trust me on
that, it'll scare the shit out of you, but get you there.

> >  So thats my story for the weekend...lemme know if you have any
> >  other ideas of where I can find my missing power, or comments
> >  about my hackage ;).  In the mean time, its time to do the little
> >  crap (stereo, new sport Quantum seats, fix exhast leak at cat,
> > etc, etc, etc, etc)
> >  Cincy approacheth, are you greasy and pissed at your car yet? ;)

yep, nope, not the one I'm driving anyway. He'll save some tricks for
Thursday no doubt. THIS Thursday, can't wait.
WOOOHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

cathy

PS, Salty, you could have at least come up with some poetry for the tribute
eh? Get on that, would you? ;P