TDI Roc, updated info and more questions

On 5/26/06, Cory Langford <Cory_Langford@bcit.ca> wrote:

> So from the great responses I have so far here is what I have compiled:
>
> The best engines to source for the swap would be either the AHU or 1Z
> engine from an A3 jetta or B3 passat.

That's Eric's opinion, but he lives in mile high country, so he doesn't like
the VNT.  I own both wastegated and VNT TDI's, and the VNT TDI kicks the
wastegated TDI's ass.  I would forget the 1Z (the "5 injector" motor)
because there aren't that many around, and many chippers don't bother with
them.  The VNT equipped motor is not a swap option for A2 and A3 platforms
because the rear motor mount interferes with the turbo - this isn't an issue
on A1 cars.  Only advantage in my mind to these earlier engines is the
absence of immoblizer and in some cases airbags.

I will need all the engine electronics (obviously) as well as the pedal
> position pot. and the electronics associated with the DBW arrangement.
>
> I will loose all the fuel pumps, etc except for the intake prepump, and
> will need to reroute the fuel lines around the missing equipment.

Intake pre-pump will need to be disconnected to avoid issues, I've been
running mine blind for 5 years.

Stick with a cable shift tranny unless you can build a really strong 020
> :)

No comment there, remember that the dual-mass flywheel/clutch setup on the
ALH motors is the weak link for tuned engines, the trick is Vr6/g60 or A3
TDI goods.

The TDI engine may have clearance issues with stress bars/hood like an aba
> swap??

Shouldn't cause an issue with the hood, upper bar maybe.

Questions that have popped up:

> I noticed a few places mentioning a water separator.  Is this something
> that comes with the fuel system of a TDI that I should grab, or is this an
> extra add-on to source?

>From 85-92 vw diesels had dedicated water separators in addition to the one
built into the fuel filter.  Prior to that, and since then, they just use
the separator that's integral with the filter.  If people would figure out
that a) you should keep your tank topped up, and b) you should drain your
bloody water separator periodically like the book says, then I'm sure there
would be fewer pump failures.  That and not filling up with gas helps...

What about the Tac?  With out a coil to trigger the tac I doubt it will
> work :)  So What options are there for a tac for a TDI?  I also assume
> being a diesel that the red line is very low.

The instrument cluster from the donor vehicle is a good source for a tach.
A2 diesels had an optional tach driven by the W terminal on the alternator,
the TDI's get tach signal from the engine computer.   A4 swaps generally
keep the cluster (immobilizer) and end up with some form of dash swap/hack.

The DBW pedal position pot.  I noticed pictures on the tdi club of people
> using the entire pedal from a TDI.  The pot looks like it is attached to
> the pedal directly.  On the older cars was it in a separate place?

Can't comment on that, I've never looked at it in great detail.

because the injection pump is at such high pressure, I am assuming it is
> mounted to the engine (or close to it) and thus we only have to run lines
> to it from the pick up pump?

The injection pump is mounted on the side of the engine and driven by the
timing belt.  You will need to plumb in the diesel fuel filter, then from
the filter to the pump.  The in-car transfer pump will be disconnected.

Most likely I will have to get a VagCom to reprogram the ECU?  I am
> thinking that the ECU may have issues when it notices that the abs, air
> bags, etc, etc are no longer connected.  Or were there old tdi's that had
> none of these things?

Airbags were an option on earlier TDIs, and a plague on newer ones (my '02
has 10 of them I think)  Some people have had luck faking out the controller
with resistors, some people put tape over their CEL... :)

Drew

--
84 Wolfsburg Ed. Scirocco GTD mit ?berVerteilerpumpe
http://scirocco.cs.uoguelph.ca/gtd