Fwd: replacing front main crank seal?

.... scirocco.org hates gmail....?

On 5/25/06, Dan Bubb <jdbubb@verizon.net> wrote:

> The only way I know to get the timing pulley bolt out of the crank is to
> remove the oil pan and block the crank from turning with a piece of wood or
> something similar since the torque spec is 66 lb-ft + 1/2 turn. Maybe
> somebody else has a better idea.

Getting it OUT has never proved a problem for me... The first time I removed
it, I wasn't even trying - I left a wrench on the bolt and started the car,
the wrench hit the driveshaft, and the engine kindly spun the bolt out for
me... :)

Since then I use an impact for removal, it's a little more, shall we say,
controlled?

Installation, of late, has been the reverse of removal - the 1.9 diesel
suffers a similar (more frequent, actually) failure of this bolt, due to
issues with the factory harmonic balancer.  I wound my replacement in pretty
tightly with the impact - I think Cathy was witness to that... :)

If the bolt is a 12pt bolt then it is one of those "always replace" bolts.
> Probably a good idea since as Julie says, the consequences can be expensive.

3 bucks for a bolt, or $3000 for a new engine because the old one now has a
crankcase vent mod.

Drew

--
84 Wolfsburg Ed. Scirocco GTD mit ?berVerteilerpumpe
http://scirocco.cs.uoguelph.ca/gtd