Timing, backfiring and low idle.

On 5/24/06, Scourge <scourge@cogeco.ca> wrote:

> Maybe I'm wrong but I thought the 1.7's had no frequency Valve??  I know
> my
> 82 with a 1.7 have no WOT switch.

Meh, it's a crapshoot.  In Canada (eh!) only JH (and 2H) cars had CIS
K-lambda (i.e CIS with o2 and frequency valve)  That's 84+ Cab, 83+84 GTI,
84 GLI, and 84+ Scirocco.

I'm pretty sure that Ed's car originated south of the border, where K-lambda
was more prevalent in earlier models due to tighter emissions standards.

My advice would be to set the timing to stock, like Mr. Bubb suggests, and
> asjust your CO. You need the ol' long 3mm allen for that. Without the aid
> of
> a sniffer and/or dwell meter I personally wouldn't turn the screw more
> then
> a half turn or so. Righty richey, lefty leaney!  lol

Half a turn is a lot at idle, bog me out batman.

On my car, when roughly setting it, I make use of the WOT switch and freq
> valve. I try to have it so when the car idles smooth(~900rpm is what I
> like)
> and you manualy hit the WOT switch it'll bog down to a near stall but stay
> running and come back up once the freq. valve turns off.

Cough cough... :)  For those of us without 2L ABA swaps, the WOT switch
should raise idle a little, not bog the engine... :)

**Disclaimer: That's just what I've found to work well with my car. Like
> many others I'm sure, I plan on making use of Timbo's offer at Cincy to
> tweak out my car with a dwell meter.

Dude, grab your Bentley, a dwell meter and a cold one and run through it, if
your O2 is operational it's a 5 minute job... :)

--
84 Wolfsburg Ed. Scirocco GTD mit ?berVerteilerpumpe
http://scirocco.cs.uoguelph.ca/gtd