Timing, backfiring and low idle.

I'm fighting with my car doing a lot of that at this very moment.
Have played with the timing a bit as a noticed the plugs were all very white
rather than the usual light tan color.

I retarded the timing a fair bit and the car runs better, but the idle speed is too low.
I could get the idle speed up by advancing the timing, but I'm concerned about running too lean.

Played with the idle adjustment valve last night, it didn't see to respond properly, although now
the car has absolutely no power at low idle, takes a bit before the revs begin to build in order
to drive off.

I've checked for intake leaks by spraying WD40 around all the hoses and didn't find any leaks
other than a very slight one on the air hose to the throttle body which I snugged up.

The car also seems to miss/hunt at any speed and the exhaust pipe is quite sooty looking.

Lots of mixed signals here.

I welcome any tips/tricks to sort this baby out.
Cheers
Ed '81S  1.7 with no cat and aftermarket exhaust and headers.

>>> "Brian Spinney" <vw_85roccoZ400@hotmail.com> 2006-05-24 8:05:51 AM >>>

My first 85 Scirocco use to do it alot on both downshifting & hard
acceleration up until 2500 rpm.  My exhaust wasn't anything special, just an
Autotech 2.25 CatBack system and a header.

It definitely turned heads when I was in high school.  I would roll into the
parking lot and downshift into second with waaaaaaam pop, pop, pop, pop,
ummm   pop, pop, pop, pop.

The car was running alittle richer than stock but I didn't think much about
it at the time, or for that matter much about CIS or cars.  I did my own oil
changes and brakes and that was about all.  It wasn't until my Senior Year
that I started learning more.

Brian

85 Scirocco 8vT                    01 Jetta 20vT                        84
Rabbit GTI