Mixture question

On 5/23/06, Dan Bubb <jdbubb@verizon.net> wrote:

> It's long been my understanding that adjusting the mixture on CIS
> mostly affects idle and has less and less of an effect as the fuel
> metering plate moves higher.

I've often wondered the same thing, does changing what is essentially the
rest postion of the control plunger have any effect on fuel delivery above
idle?  I have experienced improvements in driveability (on the same engine
as what Cathy's using, as it happens) through adjustments to idle mixture
though, but can't explain why...?

At least that's what my engineering sense tells me.
> So.....that means you'll have virtually no effect on cruising or WOT
> mixture if you're idle mixture is in the range where the engine will
> actually idle.
> Anyway, I'd set the idle a tad rich from stoichiometric. Most engines
> like to idle a little on the rich side.
> But, I am curious if adjusting the idle has any effect on cruise or
> WOT AFRs?????

Me too, but Cathy wouldn't tell what the numbers were to start at WOT, I
think she was too busy looking at the road... :P

My thoughts in this area are to dynamically adjust control pressure (without
installing CIS-E!) based on load.  Many CIS cars had vacuum input to the
control pressure regulator, I'm wondering if "upgrading" to one of these
CPRs would help, now that Cathy has WBO2 and a stable (i.e. non-assrunning)
environment it's easier to track the effect of these changes.

Essentially though she's running a stock 1.8 (non k-lambda) distributor now,
so the only thing that will reveal if fuelling is adequate for the
application is the AFR reading and the (butt) dyno...   Shimming the fuel
distributor to decrease control pressure is an option, but last time I
checked the shim kit was NLA from the dealer.

Now we have to wait for Cathy to do more fiddling around with it!

Drew

Dan