Mixture question

On 9:43:31 pm 05/22/06 "Brian McGarvey" <bmcgarvey@gmail.com> wrote:
> Because I didnt know all the facts.. You said 8v @ 10.1:1 compression
> I immedialty assumed non-stock or 2.0l aba. I can confirm the small 8v
> (1.7EN) CIS-Lambda will run an 11:1
> 2.0L aba -- although not well the JH CIS fuel dizzy and armature
> works much better doesnt knock at WOT... or hot days.
>
> But the basic thought was VW in the 70's and 80's was worried about
> long lasting cars and pretty good fuel mileage. so running lean at
> load would be seemingly a bad idea. I was assuming you were not
> getting enough fuel at load...
>
> and since your running CIS ( no lambda correction ) and knock box (
> ign retard on knock) you are running a non-factory option setup.
> IIRC...
> Rich at idle + stoich else is ok. afaik...
>
> see you in a couple days..
> Bigmac

Yeah, I went digging into my Bosch stuff and it suggests rich at idle and
WOT, stoich the rest, but I may try a bit rich provided it will idle, since
it's an ethanol blend I'm most likely to burn and it has extra OH groups,
so more O, less HC as it were, so needs to be a bit richer than 14.7:1 most
likely. (thanks Timbo for reminding me of that). The Bosch manual suggests
13.1-15.1 as the range, and I'm lean of that now for sure. (15.9:1) It's
straight CIS, as you said, and a JH with RD pistons and solid lifter head/G
grind. A nice quick engine, not a monster, but that will come with time,
and this one is bags of fun as it stands. :D

See you soon, bringing the GRM project? Oh, and thanks, seems you're the
only one who replied.
Cathy