2L oil pump dilemma

  Looking at the little schematic in the Bentley of the lubrication system,
it shows a pressure relief valve just after the oil pump, and before the oil
filter.  Does anyone know how this valve works?  If it works as a pressure
regulating valve (continually peeing out oil to maintain oil pressure below
a set upper limit), and it's stuck / blocked, Could that be your probllem?

  Then again, it may only be there to open up in case of severe
overpressurization.

  No idea if that helps any, it was just a thought.

                         - Mark M