speaker installation - preserving mk1 door panels

Original speakers in a 78 would have consisted of 1 4x6 in the dash, as far
as I can recall.
I have installed 5 1/4's in the doors many times, with low-profile
grilles...I'm pretty sure I've done 6 1/2's a couple of times, but it has
been a while.

Also: I once made flat rear door cards out of luan plywood and covered them
with black vinyl.  I installed 6" woofers (had 10 inchers in the deck).
Sounded awesome and I was able to reinstall the cards later and return that
area to stock.

Jim