Wipers activated means fuel pump engaging??

It is a Mk1.... an 80 but with only approx 21k miles original. My
confusion lies more with the notion that I have a remarkably sound
electrical system... with none of the common windshield leaks or
rotted antenna holes that lead to the electrical gremlins. Butch has
been "preserved" in a garage for 20 years so the electrical system is
as new. There is a delay as to when the pump kicks on. About 20
seconds. If you start a MkI Scirocco and it stalls. Isn't the fuel
pump supposed to fire, then stop. .....mine doesn't.