testing all the systems

I'm sure I'm going to jinx myself by stating this in a public forum, but my
'86 8v w/ 210K original miles has been running quite reliably as a daily
driver for the couple of years I've had it now.  So I think I'd like to see
if I can make the leap from "reliably" to "well."  I wouldn't call myself a
mechanic, but I'm certainly skilled enough to follow the instructions in the
Bentley and understand what's going on.  What I think I should do is
probably just go through the Bentley a system at a time performing all the
tests.  But what I'm looking for advice on is what order I should go.  Is
there a common practice on what order to test things in order to get
everything up to par?

Thanks,

matt.