Priming the oil pump (8 valve)

I know I've seen info on this on the list, but a search of the archives didn't turn up any answers.

We've just finished putting my son's '86 8 valve back together after a partial engine rebuild.  We cranked it over a bit without starting, to give the oil pump a head start, then hooked up the fuel system and tried to start it.  After some initial problems (The car hasn't been driven in 4+ years), it started up.  Neither one of us noticed that the oil pressure light was on until it had run for about 30 seconds.  I hope it's not time to take it all apart and replace the bearings again!

Any ideas on priming the oil pump?  I know the distributor can be removed and the pump turned with a socket extension, but how long should it take? Do I need to do anything else to prime it?

The oil filter is empty, so I know it's a real problem, not just a bad oil pressure switch.

Bill