OT: changing oil

Gordon Forbess wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 22:03:20 -0600, David Utley
> <fahrvergnugen@cox.net> wrote:
>

>> Working at a VW dealership, this has not been my experience.  The 21.00
>> oil change can occassionally turn into a 400.00 one...
>>
>> Oil pan, 229.00
>> Sealant,   34.00
>> Two hours labor, 180.00
>>
>> The chance to curse out the stupid 17.5-year-old oil tech because he
>> over tightened the drainplug in an aluminum pan, priceless....  :-)
>>

> I knew a guy a few years ago who was the manager of the auto service
> center at Sears in Glendale, CA.  One night he came over (looking
> really down) and I asked why.. bad day at work?
>
> Seems a young oil change "technician" who he'd recently hired did
> almost everything right.  Except replace the oil drain plug.  True
> story.

When I was in college, I worked for one of those quickie oil change
places (I worked in the carwash side...  STOP signing THAT!)  Anyways,
one of the 'techs' there lost two engines in the 9 months I was there.
And he STILL had a job there...  <--Also, a true story

Do NOT go to quick-lube places...

David