stripped wiper shafts and solutions?

No solution, but an amusing side story:  I was driving to class this morning
in thick fog, so the wipers were going.  Suddenly the passenger side wiper
started getting out of sync with the driver side.  Next thing I knew the two
collided and jammed together.  The looks from people in the adjacent parking
lot were less than amusing.  I swear, the more money I put into this car the
more things go wrong.  Oh yeah, the passenger side wiper won't tighten
anymore.  Yeah!

Craig