stripped wiper shafts and solutions?

I am sure you have looked carefully, but just incase.  Check to see if
they are actually stripped.

Usually what happens (I have seen this way too many times) is that the nut
is loose, or the blades freeze to the windshield in the winter when the
wipers are left on to try and "scrape" the ice off, etc.  When that
happens the wiper arms actually get stripped and not the motor assem.
where the arms mount.  At first glance it looks like it is stripped, but
on close inspection you will see that the spindles are actually filled
with the aluminum from the wiper arms.

Usually the arms need replacing and the spindles need a little TLC with a
sharp pick to scrape them out and get them back into usable shape again.

Just something to check on before, just in case...

Cory Langford
'86 Roc turbo,
'78 Roc turbo - Daily driver project,
'65 Ghia Coupe
95 Eurovan, etc, etc... :)

Phil Boeye <rocco_phil@yahoo.com>
Mar 16, 2006 02:07 PM

Scirocco List <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
cc

Subject
stripped wiper shafts and solutions?

The knurled wiper shafts where the wiper arms attached
have been mysteriously stripped by some dolt on one of
my roccos.  Err...

Anyhow, on the shaft itself, the knurled section
appears as a metal cap that is held over the teat of
the shaft by a snapring.  It looks to me like these
can be replaced?  Hopefully so as I'd rather not get
new wiper shafts as an assembly (blah).

Lesson - when you need to get out of town but want to
get something done on a rocco beforehand, forget
getting something done and leave early.