2 more electrical questions: branching wires and "ballast resistor"

Ballast resistor wire?  What's that all about?  I don't remember
ripping out any special looking wires (I left the spark plug and
distributor>ignition coil wires in place) when I gutted the car..  I
see it on the bentley diagram though and probably need to figure out
how to wire that up or if I need special parts.

Also,
I'm using a bunch of power distribution blocks in the car [ground up
rewire project] to make everything really neat, but there are some
places that I don't REALLY need them but do need to branch off a line
to several others (i.e. branching off to various lights).  I am
thinking using big butt connectors might be a viable option, that is,
bring a moderate gauge wire in from one side and 4-6 smaller wires
from the other, twist and crimp and heatshrink.  It seems kinda
ghetto, but I don't see anything wrong with it...
Is there a better way?  Is that going to be horribly ghetto?

-Grant-