POR15/picklex q's

OK, might as well throw my experience with POR 15 in here.
My 72 Super Beetle is about 75-80% POR 15.
It works reasonably well...better than any Canadian Tire product or
anything available from a body-shop supply store.
I've used the silver stuff, the black stuff, done the 3 stage thing as per
the manufacturer, as well as tried my own methods with brake cleaner or
Simple Green or laquer thinner to clean before POR 15ing.
The most imnportant stuff as said by Grant...PREP.
Yeah, I know...yer all shocked.
POR15 also doesn't like sweat...or any contaminants for that matter...so I
now use exclusively, the small cans (size of a yogurt container)...as they
are single use and I don't have to worry about contamination.
It is a fairly good product, but if the metal isn't absolutely clean and
prepped as per their directions, it will come back in a year or so.
Sandb;ast and wire wheel as best you can otherwise it will come back.

I have never used Picklex, but now that I have a mk3 (which seems to have
more rust than my mk1 jetta) I'm going to try some of these other
products.

cheers
sandor