[16v] DPR/mixture/timing questions

> Ok, missed the extra DPR part.  Did you change just the DPR or the DPR+Fuel
> Distributor (they work together, and therefore a failure in one can appear to be
> a failure within the other).

I haven't messed with the fuel distributor yet, just the O2 sender and
the DPR.

>>Originally, I had my test rig set up, and the DPR read 0.0mA.
>> I leaned it out, and got it to .5mA (spec'd by Bentley as a
>>good average), then with no warning, it dropped back to
>>0.0mA.  I didn't check the voltage at the O2 sensor at the time.
>

> Those DPR issues are sneaky, especially where they are intermittent.  If -
> before the drop to 0mA - you had fluctuating o2 with accompanying 'hunting' by
> the DPR current, I would suspect you had it dialed in fairly close.  The sudden
> drop to 0mA could only be explained by intermittent fault, ecu fault, open DPR
> coil (intermittent), intermittent open on temp sender (as winchell suggested),
> or perhaps some other de-tuning issue (timing, etc), that was gross enough to
> force the ecu into open loop, but IIRC, open loop alone does not normally result
> in 0mA.
>
> HTH
> Al

Speaking of the temp sender, I've also been having an issue with my
cooling fan.  The car will tend to run quite warm (but never
overheating), which, if I'm not mistaken, is a symptom of a rich
mixture.  The fan will turn on, but not until it gets quite warm, the
needle reaching the last quarter of the temp gauge.  While all this is
happening, I've noticed some wispy smoke and a mild ozone/electical
smell coming from the vicinity of the right (drivers side) of the
radiatior, down low somewhere.  I haven't been able to see it well
enough to place it.  But if I recall Dave's email, the control temp
sender is on the side of the head, correct?

I have a pretty good list going for things to check, thanks for the help
so far, and keep it coming!

Nate