From: Brian Haygood [mailto:haygood@myway.com]
Sent: Friday, June 30, 2006 12:34 AM
To: jdbubb@verizon.net; scirocco-l@scirocco.org; sukchew@cox-internet.com
Subject: Re: Tools

My dad built a sandblasting box a long while back.  The ceramic gun tips
wore out quickly but the better tips (tungsten?) never wore out.  He built
the whole box out of wood and it had a few problems with his construction,
so he bought a new one from TIP.  I think he has been using glass in it.
Noticeably milder, and probably too mild for the 70 year old cast steel
Model A Ford parts he works on.  About right for Scirocco stuff, generally.
The glass did eat through the pickup tube in his unit after a couple of
years.  He bought a new tube but we decided we would just repair the next
tube when it fails. It has a bend in the pickup tube that gets blasted away
- even with glass.  Not a big deal and he uses the thing a lot.

In Ohio I borrowed Brad's Harborfreight variety box.  He mentioned that he
didn't like it much.  I concurr.  The bottom is way too shallow to funnel
the media to the pickup tube, and it is a very small box.  BTW, you really
need a good vacuum hooked up to your setup, and you will kill a shop vac in
short order if you try to use that without a serious dust pre-filter ahead
of it.  I bet one of those rainbow water filtering vacuum cleaners would
work very well, but drying the media out to reuse it would be a pain, though
it rarely needs to be done.  Dad's TIP box came with a vacuum setup that
works well.

Chuck, come by town some time and I'll show you Dad's shop.  You will love
it!

BH