MKI Scirocco for sale: A/C common in '81

Heya Nate (and All),
    Just a quick comment; A/C on Mk 1's is more common in later years. By
which I mean; in '76 - '78 (roughly) there was some (rare) factory A/C, but
also often dealer-installed aftermarket crap (you'll know it by the sloppy
install work, a factory system was designed to fit and does).
    Easier way to tell; an aftermarket install would typically put the
controls in the center console, seperate from the standard climate controls
in mid-dash. If you see dials in front of the shifter, chances are it's
aftermarket.
    I'd recommend strip it out and junk it (compressor might make a good
boat anchor if you live near water). Replace trim and blank console faces...
as though it had never been. Don't ask, don't tell.
    About '79 -ish, VW sorta "upgraded" standard accessories; quite often
factory A/C would be part of a package. That has continued, so factory A/C
on an '81 'S' I'd say is rather more likely than not. In short, I'd say that
if you're concerned about originality, this car probably shipped from
Hamburg with the A/C in it.
    This speaking from 5 once owned Mk 1 Scirocco's; '79 grey (stupid me got
bored and sold it... perfect and pristine), '77 red, '77 green, '80 bronze,
'80 forest green. The latter being transients... there was once a better,
kinder time when Scirocco's were plentiful.
    Also I worked at a VW/Porsche/Audi dealership back when the Mk 2 was the
new body style.
    Now have an '85 8v. I find it weird to think of it as somehow being a
'collectible'... hard to find "dealer" parts, and hard to find cars for
sale.

    Seems like most of you on the list are more or less East Coast. Well...
it's mostly East from here, I'm in Colorado.
    I'd love to pick up a decent Mk 1 again, especially an 'S', but this one
in SC is a bit too far right now... if you hear of anything out my way
please pass along info.
    For that matter, if any of you hear of something out here in fly-over
land that you're interested in, I'd be happy to do a remote evaluation for
you on local stuff. Gimme a shout.
    Hope the info on A/C helps.

Karl