help needed - Converting Auto to Manual Transmision

<fixed Subject Line>

--- alex porter <alexporter_14@hotmail.com> wrote:

> My dad and I are wondering if the tranny from the 82
> will fit in our 87 cabby?
>
> The cabby has a 3 speed auto right now. We were also
> wondering if its a bolt in job or do we have to do
> some more work to make everything work
> right?

<snip>

There is a number od things you'll need to do to
convert from Auto to Manual. There is the linkages, a
mount that is on the steering rack, perhaps a small
sheetmetal covering part of the gap between the manual
trans and the block.... Hmmm.

I thought I was going to be able to pull this off, off
the top of my head. Lets see what a bit of research
can find....

VWVortex searches:

- A2 chassis (but relevant)
<http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2229049>

- Muhahahahaahah, Ureka!
<http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=667004#5957166>

[start]
Racer X says:

I agree, the search feature here seems to draw
excessive vacuum.
I've posted this list at least 3 times in the past
couple of weeks. This time, I'll try to link it to the
transmission FAQ thread here.

It's possible to convert an auto transmission A1 to a
manual transmission. It's easiest if you have the
entire donor car with the manual transmission. It's
also helpful if the steering on the donor matches the
steering on the car receiving the transplant (either
both with power steering, or both without power
steering).

Here's the list of the parts you need:

- Any 020 five speed (or four speed) transmission
- Clutch, pressure plate, flywheel
- Shifter, shifter rod, linkage parts, interior trim
for shifter (trim optional for some folks)
- Steering rack from a car with a manual transmission
(see note below about this)
- Clutch pedal, clutch cable, bracketry for clutch
pedal (some folks switch the whole steering column to
get the bracket)
- Starter from manual transmission car

If your transmission came from a significantly
different car than what you're installing it in, you
might need some additional brackets. For example, if
you get the tranmission from an A2 car, you'll need
some of the brackets from an A1 manual transmission
car to mount it. This means you'll need some brackets
from an A1 Rabbit/Jetta/Scirocco/Cabriolet to use the
transmision from that 86 Golf

Also, 16V transmissions and A3 2.0 liter transmissions
have larger input shafts and larger drive flanges than
the older transmissions. If you use one of these,
you'll need to use a different clutch disc, and either
swap the drive flanges with an earlier gearbox or
install larger inner CV joints when you install the
transmission.

It's best to use a new clutch and pressure plate. The
16V pressure plate has more clamping force than the
8V, and bolts right up. Use a clutch disc that matches
the gearbox. If you have a 16V or A3 gearbox, use a
16V clutch disc. If you have an older 8V transmission,
use the 8V clutch disc.

If the car receiving the transplant has power
steering, you'll need to get a power steering rack
from a donor with a manual transmission. Either that,
or you'll need to get the shifter linkage brackets off
of a manual rack from an manual transmission donor and
have them installed (welded, IIRC) on your power
steering rack. The other option is to remove the power
steering and use a manual rack (from a car with a
manual transmission). Obviously, you can remove the
pump, hoses and reservoir if you switch to a manual
steering rack.

I hope this helps, and I hope I didn't forget anything
this time.

Edit

I just realized your donor is an A2 Golf and your
installing this in an A1 Cabriolet. You'll need the
shifter parts, brackets and clutch pedal brackets from
an A1 car in order to install them in your Cabriolet.
The shifter and pedal cluster on the A2 cars is
completely different than the A1 setup. The parts from
that 1986 Golf won't work.

I'm not sure about the steering racks, but I think you
need one of those for an A1 manual transmission car,
too. I think the A2 racks are different.

The clutch, pressure plate and flywheel from the 1986
Golf will work for your car. The starter from the 1986
Golf should work, too.

[Modified by Racer_X, 4:29 AM 1-17-2003]

Racer_X@winning.com
It's good to be back home.

[end]
How's That?