  From: C Boyko
  To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
  Sent: Monday, June 26, 2006 08:08 PM
  Subject: OT: Suspension (strut) damage

  Okay, odd one tonight. So the kid pulls his wheel off, and there's this
  wierdness on the top of those two metal flaps on the front strut that the
  eccentric bolt goes through to hold the hub on (with it's non-eccentric
  companion bolt), you know the metal flaps on the bottom of the strut
  housing that I mean, right?
  Anyway, they are both dented forward, like someone took a BFH to them, and
  there's a nice ground off groove in them. The wheel clears them by a good
  cm (1/2"), and it wouldn't be able to machine a slot in that metal anyway,
  they're aluminum rims, and there's no sign of damage on the rim. Strut
  bolts are all tight, the reason it's apart is undue motion in the tranny
  flanges, and a supercharger sound emanating from the aged gearbox. Which in
  no way can cause that ground up spot either.
  Any ideas at all?  This is on the Valdez so anything's possible, it's
  suspension has been really abused for a very long time. The  airbags won't
  shift the position of that piece relative to the wheel or anything else we
  can see that could contact that part.