Is now really: The weekend, was: The Free Car...

On 12:50:53 am 06/26/06 "Mtl-Marc" <marc_scirocco@sympatico.ca> wrote:
> This week-end I had the pleasure to meet again with Marc Getty, who
> is one expert connaisseur regarding beer, and we went out and had a
> few beers with him and his friends! It is always a pleasure to meet
> (and drink) with Mr Getty.

Getty and beer, who would think of such a combo? Is there any Unibroue left
for export to Ontario, or do I have to wait till they brew a new batch?

<lots of cool car stuff deleted, lucky bastards>

> This is what I will order this week and fit on the Scirocco for my
> fourth setup:
> <<http://www.parts4vws.com/catalog/product_detail.asp?PartNumber=54708
> /BL>>
>
> All was fun, nobody got hurt, except for one of Getty's friend. Lots
> of beer and partying, and car driving made it for a cool week-end. :-)
>
> Cheers.
>
> Marc
> '83 Scirocco
> '97 A4 Q
> '71 H-D FLH

Well, that sounds like fun, and LMK how you like that setup, I have an A1
in need too (the evil white one), may as well do "the other" setup I'd
always wanted to try. I have the "tall version" of those struts on my bug,
and at that price for the set, it's sure reasonable, and in Montreal,
you'll likely be using the warrantee, you have some seriously "variable
road surfaces" there!

I spent the weekend with cars too, it was the Jitterbug, most of the day
Saturday was spent on a basic wash and vaccuum for the two Roccos, and
Saturday night was the usual cruise of Niagara falls, which I think I
mantioned before. Sunday was the Jitterbug, We took three cars, none of
them show winners, but all three generate comments, my son finally has
another car on air ride suspension to compare to, oddly it's another diesel
Jetta, this other one's an A1, his an A2. He took MKI Mark's young friend
for a "ride", (Mark's mom's foster son), it looked like they were having
fun going "front to back, and side to side".
LOTS of A1s there, four MkIIs, and two MkIs by my count, the winner was a
fellow by the name of (get ready for it)....Carl....with a G60/Thunderbird
supercharged Cosmos S, with totally redone interior. A really nice car.
Geoff Hollinsworth's Zender red with pink pearl MkII was second, he's
usually in the winnings with that one, it's done for show.

Once again I was flogging the list, with pictures of Cincy as the
lure.....and besides, we need another Carl, am I right? I met another
potential  Mark too (we really need more Marks,eh?), gave him the info. He
has a Mars Wolfie. Matt? Did I talk to you? I don't think so........:(

Just pretty well local listers this year, MkI Mark and George, who made the
mistake of telling me that his sexy lenses would bolt up to my borrowed
camera from school.....yeah, we killed some film/pixels. I'll be upgrading
to AF before long, but on a film back. For now.

Other events? The "Clutch Eater" was fun as always, it's a car-sized teeter
totter, and the winner this year had the thing totally flat and stationary,
really impressive. It could also be called the "air dam eater", I think the
need to offer a custom body kit as a prize for any watercoolers trying it.

The "Engine Blow" involved a Volvo 240 this year, it was as dull as the car
itself, it ran, and it stopped. No oil/crashing/grenading, none of that.
Lasted maybe 20 seconds. They blew up a Jetta 8V last year, it went for a
painful 8 or 9 minutes before ejecting the distributor and associated
shafts. Yeah, IT was ugly. Seems to me there was need of a fire
extinguisher on that one.

Engine tear down? Well, Adam and I were second again, but this year we lost
by a lot of time. It's getting serious. Now seriously, does anyone have
access to dead aircooled parts? This is a really fun event, and would be
great for Cincy. The air cooled block as they use it is missing the
internals, so it's the two halves of the block, the jugs and heads. THIS
would be a fantastic Cincy competition, they do two at once, side by side,
in teams of two, whoever finishes first goes on to the next round. You just
need two matched blocks, two ratchet handles, and two pairs of sockets. So
who's got dead air cooler blocks to donate? Someone has to have them. I
don't think there's anything as well suited on our cars. These take under
two minutes to assemble or tear down, so it's a good spectator sport.

Scirocco good Samaritan content: Well, when your car won't start, (in this
case a GMC truck that had kids on playstations in it all day), what do you
do? Wander around to discover that the only one in the place with booster
cables is a Scirocco owner.....:)

Anyway, I have a few odd things to fix on my cars, and lots of inspiring
ideas, (and lots of stuff that didn't inspire me in particular...) but it
was a good weekend. Not Cincy, but still not so bad.

Sorry to be so lengthy, but seriously, who's got those blocks?
Cathy