New to List, needing a little info

Welcome to the list! Now to stab at some answers for ya.

> I swapped the rear
> discs off of the GTI already so I'm good there for now, but
> the suspension is driving me nuts.

Well, the brakes are going to be biased too far to the rear.  Without adding the necessary proportioning valves, be prepared for the
rear to break loose first under hard braking.

> Does anyone know the
> spring rates or where I can find them for:
> 1. Stock 88 GTI 16V
> 2. unknown Rocco 2, probably stock
> 3. Stock 91 GTI 8V
> 4. Eibach / Koni  yellows set up from 88 GTI

The GTI / A2 stuff is going to be a tricky fit, mainly because the fronts won't fit the hub carriers, and have a different mount at
the towers as well.  I honestly wouldn't try to bother with it, though the rears may work.  Closest possibility would be to keep the
koni rears, eibach springs, but you would need to come up with an A1 set of front konis.  Even if they are cartridges, I think the
diameter is different, so you couldn't just move them over to the other strut housings.

Stock rocco 2 stuff is fairly soft, but a coil can be removed in a pinch, which will lower the crazy stock ride height and up the
rate a bit as well.  In that case, the rate would exceed the stock level of dempening unless you upgraded shocks/struts, in which
case you might as well pick up springs anyhow.

> While bleeding my brakes last
> night I discovered that I can flex my rear springs by hand.
> I've never seen a rear spring that soft before, is that normal?

Yes stock rears are soft (even race rears can be flexed a bit by hand - the rear is just very light).

HTH
Al

Allyn Malventano, ETC(SS), USN
87 Rieger Scirocco GTO 2.0 16v (my daily, 220k, rocco #6)
86 Scirocco ('98 guts - ABA 8v) (autox beast, 60k, rocco #9)
86 Kamei Twin 16V Turbo Scirocco GTX (30% complete, rocco #7)
86.5 Occo 16v Trailer (rocco #8)
91 Jetta 16V (wifes daily, 150k)
89 Jetta 16V (from cincy '05 - 140k, yes it still runs)
90 Passat GL 16V (wifes old daily, 220k)