Trouble starting

On 10:31:39 pm 06/22/06 "Mike Smith" <smithma7@gmail.com> wrote:
> Lately I've had issues starting the car when it's been sitting a
> while. Starts fine when hot.  When cold, it cranks for a while and
> eventually starts (30 sec or so).  I don't crank it for that long at
> once, BTW.
> Anyway, thermo time switch / cold start valve?  I used to have this
> problem years ago (at least 4 yrs before joining the list) and
> instead of fixing (was dirt poor then :) I just popped the clutch for
> a year or so.  Finally got it fixed and I believe that was the
> problem then.
> Should I order those items?  BTW, anyone got part numbers for those
> two items?
>
> --
> Mike
> '86 red 16v: Red 5 (aka der Jahrtausendfeierfalke)
> "The world is my oyster soup kitchen floor wax museum." - King Crimson

Seems to me there's a pretty easy test in the Bentley for that, mind you,
I've only ever done it on the 8V, no, wait.....I may have done it years
back on the 16V. Anyway, you pull the cold start injector, which is not
scary to do at all, (it's even easy to get to on a 16V, try it on a Fox
manifold if you want fun, can you say firewall? I thought so) and aim it at
a bottle and see how long it sprays and what the pattern looks like. The
Bentley test will describe how to tell if it's a thermotime issue, or an
injector issue. If I was closer, I'd help you, I gave up huffing pretty
well cold turkey with that "new" fuel distributor. I kind of miss it.... :D
Cathy, clean for, well, a few months anyway.......

Oh, I can look up the PNs if nobody else does.....