Scirocco-l Digest, Vol 16, Issue 68 (Gauges)

You can build an ammeter with a shunt and a voltmeter.  The shunt
costs about $14.
Here's a 100AMP shunt:

<http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/item/SNT-100/search/
100_AMP_SHUNT,_50MV=100_AMPS_.html>

Here's an appropriate meter to use "across" it, also $15:

<http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/item/
PM-122/385/3.5_DIGIT_LED_PANEL_METER,_200_MV_.html>

You could also use a DMM to on mV range to calibrate a standard VDO
voltmeter into amps to accomplish the
same thing for a more "portable" approach.

==Brett