From: Dan Bubb" <jdbubb@verizon.net>
To: "GGehrke" <ggehrke@gmail.com>
Cc: <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
Sent: Thursday, June 22, 2006 9:39 AM
Subject: Re: Scirocco-l Digest, Vol 16, Issue 68 (Gauges)

This is my take on an ammeter. All the current needs to go through the ammeter for it to measure it. But, I doubt you'd want to measure the starter motor draw. That might be enough current to melt the ammeter and the wires that run to it. So, you need to leave the starter out of the ammeter circuit, but you want to include everything else including the alternator output.
So only the starter motor would connect directly to the positive terminal of the battery. All the other connections to the + battery terminal would get moved to one side of the ammeter, the alternator output would be moved from the starter motor connection to the ammeter and the other side of the ammeter would connect to battery +.
OTOH, there is something called a shunted ammeter. I have no clue how that works, but wouldn't mind finding out!
Dan