Checking brakes and... squirt

On 11:37:20 pm 06/19/06 Jacob Hawes <gr8hunter1@comcast.net> wrote:
> I know that I at least started this e-mail about a week ago but I
> just upgraded my computer and with that I reinstalled windows, so if
> I already said this just flame me. This is actually the third time I
> have tried sending this in the past couple of days, perhaps it will
> go through this time.
>
> I finally took the time to look at my rear brakes and once I got in
> there I realized that I have no idea what I'm doing. Well thats how
> you learn, right? So I followed the book's directions and got my
> brother to press the brake pedal while I look at the brake to see if
> everything is moving correctly. It isn't. One of the pistons sticks
> at first and one or the other won't go out all the way. Then I notice
> that the rubber around the piston began to swell. I pushed on it a
> little (this is with the pedal mostly depressed) and brake fluid
> squirts a few feet away. What is going on? Is it time to take it to a
> pro?
> --
>    --Jacob Hawes
> Cars:
>    '80 Scirocco mk1 searching for a name
> Sharp pointy things:
>    18" HI Kobra "pillow knife"
>    17.5" HI Ang Khola Villager "camp axe"
>    ~48" Custom XVII longsword. unnamed
> My Photobucket:
> http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v310/yoippari/

Unless it's a line and you're uneasy about doing your own, I'd say forge
on. Sounds like you need new wheel cylinders, and it's not that horrible to
do them. Just make sure you Kroil the fasteners, clean out the heads, and
tap a good bucket allen bit into them, and all should be well, If it looks
like you're gonna be doing shoes at the same time, buy a spring kit, and
take digital pictures of what's there before you disassemble it all. Yeah,
I've done it, and if I can, you can too. I'm pretty inept.

How about "Slash" for the car's name? Or one of the three musketeers names,
or any handsome swashbuckler from the movies? (Arrrr, or name it for a
pirate, matey ;) )The car needs a name, no wonder it's squirting things at
you! (or is it a female car? Then you have all those buxom heroines to
choose from...)

Anyway, brakes are do-able, so ask me why I'm procrastinating on doing the
daily's fronts?
Cathy

Cathy