Alternator questions?

So on my return home from Cincy, I had to replace my battery.  I did it at and
Advance Auto, and they hooked up their tester to both the battery and the alt.

I am comfortable that the battery that was in the car was beat, but when they
did the alt test, he said the peak amperage was only 32 amps.  I've got the 90a
alternator.

Has anyone else had their alternator tested recently?  Is this "normal," or
should I be thinking of replacing the alt, or the voltage regulator, or something?

As another data point, I had the alt rebuilt for the convertible, and a couple
years ago, a buddy tested it and said IT was putting out low amps.  I'm
wondering if there is something wrong with the way they're being tested, or what.

| Jim Jarrett,McFarland, WI       2006 Golf GLS                 |
| mailto:jarrett@rpa.net          81 Rabbit Convertible 16v     |
|                                 88 Scirocco  16V              |