[OT] VIN Decoder Guide

I just adjusted the insurance coverage of my '83 Cali, and re-insured my GTI
Bunny Truck and watched the agent futz around with a pretty cute book that
decodes every VIN number. It was odd that it had my GTI Truck because the
book looked much older then I am!

After noting said book's existence I Googled for an online version of a
decoder and found this <http://www.analogx.com/CONTENTS/vinview.htm> free
VIN decoder and the Wikipedia article on VIN numbers
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_identification_number>. The first one
is mediocre and the latter terrific (as most Wikipedia stuff is). Also of
note is the site <http://www.gakmotorsports.com/vininfo.htm> which includes
factory and model codes for VWs. Good 'ole Type 53 is indeed represented
there!

Of course the pay services at Car Fax <http://www.carfax.com>, Experian
<http://www.autocheck.com> (the credit rating company), and
<http://www.autobaza.pl> are out there, but after all we are just poor