OT: Oil companies

In another century, the one in which Sciroccos were born (exactly 1974), I first encounterd this who is an "American" question.
I was Aircraft Commander of a US Army aircraft flying near Southampton in England, when I heard an "American voice" reporting approach to another nearby airfield. Later, I met the "American voice." He turned out to have been what I would have theretofore called Canadian. Being a United Statesian in England trying to learn their language, that officer really grabbed my attention when I said: "Oh, I thought you were an American!"
His reply was: "I am!"
And he was.
This entire continent, northernmost to southernmost, is America.
That includes Canada: the northernmost Americans.
The USA is , let's say it correctly, The United States OF America.
There is no argument. The USA is only part of the whole.
Certainly it is a sovereign part of America that I have and have sworn to defend, but the the USA is not AMERICA!
Forget the song. It applies to all. Penguins to polar bears.