OT: Oil companies

So this statement from the link you sent completely backs up what Matt
said...

In most countries (including all of Europe and Australia) the "headline"
octane that would be shown on the pump is the RON, but in the United States
and some other countries the headline number is the average of the RON and
the MON, sometimes called the Anti-Knock Index (AKI), Road Octane Number
(RdON), Pump Octane Number (PON), or (R+M)/2. Because of the 10 point
difference noted above, this means that the octane in the United States will
be about 4 to 5 points lower than the same fuel elsewhere: 87 octane fuel,
the "regular" gasoline in the US and Canada, would be 91-95 (regular) in
Europe.

...Nice information to have. I always new it was measured differently, but
didn't know how or why. Still not in depth as to how the numbers are
derived, but a better explanation than I have seen elsewhere.

Thanks,

Dave

David Winchell, II
87 2.0L 16V Scirocco