Fuel Prices/ OT Perspective

Nice post Karl.

  Not bitchin, just commenting on my wife's post.

  The price of gas is just that, the price of gas.

  Two of our vw's take 91+ no matter what, the other 87-89, and the mv can go down to 85.

  There's much more to the reasoning of why the price of gasoline, beer, JetA is so high, but that goes right into politics, and that's something not dicussed, atleast here.

  No matter what the price of gas is, I'm still going to drive our vw's regardless.

  But I did enjoy the post, very thought out.

  Tonee

Karl Krupke <kkrup62@hotmail.com> wrote:
  Hi all,
Just a couple of things to comment on re. the ongoing fuel prices
discussion.

1) Somebody mentioned JetA is not much more refined than diesel. True, and
also have you considered kerosene? Oughta be dirt cheap in relation to
gasoline, but isn't. Thus we can logically derive that prices have damn all
to do with the cost of producing/ providing the product. How many of you
remember the late 70's, after the 911 Turbo (930) Porsche came out, was
found fashionable, trendy, and 'cool', and suddenly the word "Turbo" became
appended to every new (and many old) products to profit from the word
association?
Turbo razors, turbo soft drinks, turbo banking, turbo grout, turbo dish
soap, turbo nose hair clippers, turbo carpeting. Turbo skiis, turbo
speakers, turbo snow chains, turbo deodorant. Turbo shampoo, turbo realpoo,
turbo steaks, turbo rabbit food, turbo grits. Turbo drills, turbo wrenches,
turbo screwdrivers, turbo vacuum cleaners (can you say "contradiction in
terms"?).
So... if you call it "jet fuel" everyone thinks it's some sort of exotic
unlikely mix carefully specified and described by ex-Nazi engineers in their
spare time while they weren't building rockets. And priced accordingly.
I hear the big oil companies are making record profits. Wonder why?
And a brief return to the porsche tangent; most 911's and derivatives,
when wrecked, do so backwards. Bonus point: Can you spell "trailing throttle
oversteer"?
Fun cars, but deadly for the poseurs. Not that I'm against Darwinian
evolution, but what an awful waste of fine Stuttgart steel. Woulda been
better to get them out of the gene pool with Pintos.
Oh yeah... my bad, I almost forgot the Mustang II.

2) Perspective. Yeah, I know, gas costs a lot. But things could be worse.
Consider: A gallon of gas (or any other fluid) is 128 fluid ounces. If
it's gasoline, the price is about three bucks -ish, depending on where
you're at.
A beer (bottled, of course) is 12 fluid ounces. Thus a six-pack is 72 fl
oz.
I'm not an elitist or other form of snob (usually), my preferred
libation is Henry Weinhardt's Blue Boar Ale, about $6.50 the six-pack.
If a beer is 12 oz, and a six-pack is 72, and a gallon is 128; then the
cost per gallon of beer can be found by the following formula:

C = sp X 1.777777778 (OK to use 1.8 if you want), where sp is cost per
six-pack.

So... my Henry's is costing me $11.55 a gallon.

People are bitching (with reason) about $3.00 + gasoline, but if the country
at large ever does the math on beer there'll be a revolution.

Karl