SOT: need EE advice on repairing a BMW wiring short

grrrr - I spent _several_ hours this weekend splicing in a new section of the
harness baking in >95F weather. Well it works again, but half way on way 40
miles commute I start smelling that smell   :(  At least I can drive it without
the switches plugged in...

Wiring problems are the absolute fucking worst...I want to put my fist through
the window.