Crank Seal leaking - Passenger Side

Probably 2-3 hours...

Just pop the distributor cap off, and rotate the engine, until the rotor points to the small notch on the distributor.
I usually mark the distributor body to make it easier to find next time. Or you can line it up with th o on the flywheel.

Put it in gear, and remove the crank pulley, and most the belts and water pump pulley.

Loosen the tensioner and remove the timing belt covers... This is a good time to change V-belts/the timing belt/tensioner/pass. mount, if they need it.

Remove the timing belt, and spin the crank gear bolt off with an IR 1000LB Ti air gun. ;)

The regular IR air guns will work too, but the cheapies usually don't have the torque to loosen them.

Remove the front main seal carrier, by prying it off with a small prybar or large screwdriver...

Clean both surfaces, replace the gasket, if it rips, and inspect the crank for 2 grooves. High mileage cars can develop 2 grooves from the seal lips wearing into the crank.
If you have the grooves, just drive the seal in a little further.

I do this by wacking the seal with a large piece of wood, and a BFH.  I first drive it flush, and then I keep hitting it, and checking it, until the aluminum indents the wood enough to press the seal in where I want it, just past the first lip.

I figured this out when the new rear main seal still leaked on my '79 Scirocco w/200K+.

Use some type of sealant on the carrier, and loctite on the crank gear pulley bolt. Replace if it calls for it...

HTH!

Peter