was tune-up routine? now lifters

AFAIK, manufacturers DO still make cars with solid lifters. Don't have a list handy, but off the top of my head, I believe the Toyota 1zz and 2zz 4cyl (also used by Lotus in the Elise) are solid lifter. I think also I saw something about checking valve shims in the manual for my Nissan Titan...

Neal

----- Original Message ----
From: LEF <rocco16@sbcglobal.net>
To: Chris <open.seas@verizon.net>; scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Sent: Thursday, July 20, 2006 6:12:02 PM
Subject: was tune-up routine? now lifters

While this may have been true forty years ago, modern (and we can consider the '80's VW heads to be modern) hydraulic lifters are the equal of solids in any category you might want to choose.
  There are good reasons that no automaker puts solid lifters in their automobiles today.

If you like the sound of clattering lifters, you must love the graunch of self-machining transmissions and the snapping/clicking of wasted CV joints.

larry
sandiego16v
  The only reason to use a hydraulic head is because there was no choice,
  it came that way, or the user is a wuss. Real men and women prefer solid
  things.