Tune Up & PM

Hi Nate,
    Looks like a good plan for the basic tune-up; don't forget preventative
maintenance.
    I've always used:

O/F- Fram PH2870A. Good as/better than Bosch or Mann, half the cost.
A/F- Fram. Don't know the p/n.
F/F- Bosch.
Engine Oil- Castrol. I like 20w/50 weight, a bit less fuel mileage but a bit
more proctection than 10w/40. But it's really a judgement call; I'd say
heavier in a hot climate, lighter in cool. Also, I start with 1 quart of
Marvel Mystery Oil then top off with Castrol; the MMO is really good for the
later type heads with hydraulic lifters but has benefits for the earlier
engines as well.
Trans Oil- Castrol 75w/90 (dino). But there are some good synthetics.
All ignition- Bosch [plugs, cap & rotor, cables, points & condenser if you
have 'em].
Coolant- Prestone, 50/50 water/ antifreeze mix.

    The metal shield on the dist. cap is to reduce r/f interference... if
you haven't got it and your radio doesn't sound gawd-awful, don't worry
about it.

PM Stuff:

1) Don't forget to put a few drops of oil onto the felt pad in the center of
the dist. shaft under the rotor. This keeps the upper dist. shaft lubed, and
thus centered. If the bearing goes dry and wears it goes floppy off-center,
which will play hell with trying to set timing.
2) Check battery connections for corrosion (greenish white pasty looking
stuff). You can clean off with water and baking soda, then spray on a
protective anti-corrosive.
3) BRAKES! If you don't know how old your brake fluid is, it's time to flush
it out. Depends on climate, but I'd say not more than 3 years between
changes, 2 years in a very moist/humid environment. I like Castrol LMA
fluid, and since you're going to be there anyway replace all the brake
bleeder nipple caps, and check the flexible lines for cracks or other signs
of impending non- functionality... the 'bonus' excitement value of blowing
out a brake line while driving 10/10th's on a curvy mountain road is largely
offset by the cost of having to buy new underwear. And pants. And getting
the seat steam cleaned.
4) General lube; door hinges, latch striker plates, lock barrels, throttle
butterflys, window channels, etc. Shift linkage even. Friction is the enemy.
5) Don't forget to check lights, turn signals, BU lights, horn, etc. Good to
check every so often that all the stuff you think is working actually is.

That's my spiel. Have fun.

Karl