From: sailingfc@dslextreme.com [mailto:sailingfc@dslextreme.com]
Sent: Saturday, July 15, 2006 2:46 PM
To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: Re: scary stuff

Here's my story(s).

I took my sister-in-laws Passat into the dealer because she knew they
wouldn't try to pull something over on me as easily as they would with her.
She needed rotors and pads (I had no time to do it for her), which were down
to metal on metal.  I told them to return all the parts.  When I went to
pick up, I could see new pads and rotors by looking through the wheels.  I
didn't see any parts in the car and asked the service tech for them.  He
spent about 15 minutes (way too long) looking for the parts.  He finally
comes back with a small box.  I look at the pads and they all had some pad
material left.  I ask him for the rotors.  He claims that the scrap metal
truck had picked them up already.  I go back to the pads and tell him these
are not the pads from the car because I could hear and see I was down to
metal.  He hesitates and then says he actually didn't know which pads were
off my car and he grabbed the pads that were at the top of the pile (is this
the same pile that the scrap metal truck had already pick up?).  Since I
knew by looking I had new brakes, I just looked at him and left.

A friend of mine has a 2001 Audi A4 V6, which he took into the dealer for a
tune up.  When he picked up the car, he popped the hood and looked at the
engine.  The engine had a fine dusting of dirt on top (normal).  He goes to
the service tech and asked how a tune up is done on his car (from the top or
bottom?). Tech says it's done from the top, by removing the covers.  He
leads the tech back to the car and shows her there are no finger prints on
the dust of the engine covers.  He said he has never seen anyone try to
backpedal so fast.  They settled by giving him a complete tune up, no charge
and replace his factory radio that they popped a button out of by "accident"
(which they were not going to do anything about).

Moral of the story: Know your stuff and be observant.

Enjoy your weekend everyone.

-Dick-
78 Scirocco
Original Owner