scary stuff

A few years back when I had my 98 Jetta GT I called the dealer and told them
that my axles was going bad and it need to be replaced since it was still
under warranty.  They responded with "Have we looked at it yet?"  I told
them no but I was 100% sure my axles was going bad.  So they told me to
bring the car in..
Well I jacked the car up before bring the car in making sure there was no
rip or anything  in the boots because that means no mechanic failure and not
a warranty item.

Well I get a call from the Dealership "yup your axles was bad all right."
"But there was a rip in your boot and that made the axle go bad."  So it
isn't under warranty, So we could get you a new axles + labor for $600 or a
remanufactured one + labor for $450.  I get off the phone pissed and I
needed to go there to see this so called rip.

Well I ask to see the rip, and they let me into the shop, the rip looked
just like a flat head screw driver  stabbed into the boot.  Since I didn't
have any proof but word of mouth that there was no rip, they basically told
me to fuck off.

I went home bought an axles from the local parts store and replaced it
myself for $150.00.  I then drove back to the dealership old axles in hand
and walked into the service dept.  I dropped the axles on the service
manager desk on whatever he had there and left him a friendly little note.

I am sorry for the long email but this subject gets me fired up.
-Brian

85 Scirocco 8vT       01 Jetta 20vT       84 Rabbit GTI