From: Tonee Northam [mailto:pb3vr6@yahoo.com]
Sent: Saturday, July 15, 2006 3:04 PM
To: sailingfc@dslextreme.com; scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: Re: scary stuff

If I do go to the dealer I can stand there and watch because it's all glass
between me and the car. And I do watch.

Our old dealership, your car is tucked away in a corner somewhere, the
same dealer that tried to take me for a 750.00 seat airbag.

sailingfc@dslextreme.com wrote:
Here's my story(s).

I took my sister-in-laws Passat into the dealer because she knew they
wouldn't try to pull something over on me as easily as they would with
her. She needed rotors and pads (I had no time to do it for her), which
were down to metal on metal. I told them to return all the parts. When I
went to pick up, I could see new pads and rotors by looking through the
wheels. I didn't see any parts in the car and asked the service tech for
them. He spent about 15 minutes (way too long) looking for the parts. He
finally comes back with a small box. I look at the pads and they all had
some pad material left. I ask him for the rotors. He claims that the
scrap metal truck had picked them up already. I go back to the pads and
tell him these are not the pads from the car because I could hear and see
I was down to metal. He hesitates and then says he actually didn't know
which pads were off my car and he grabbed the pads that were at the top of
the pile (is this the same pile that the scrap metal truck had already
pick up?). Since I knew by looking I had new brakes, I just looked at him
and left.

A friend of mine has a 2001 Audi A4 V6, which he took into the dealer for
a tune up. When he picked up the car, he popped the hood and looked at
the engine. The engine had a fine dusting of dirt on top (normal). He
goes to the service tech and asked how a tune up is done on his car (from
the top or bottom?). Tech says it's done from the top, by removing the
covers. He leads the tech back to the car and shows her there are no
finger prints on the dust of the engine covers. He said he has never seen
anyone try to backpedal so fast. They settled by giving him a complete
tune up, no charge and replace his factory radio that they popped a button
out of by "accident" (which they were not going to do anything about).

Moral of the story: Know your stuff and be observant.

Enjoy your weekend everyone.

-Dick-
78 Scirocco
Original Owner