Could you tow a mostly empty shell with your Scirocco?

On 7/12/06, T Berk <bayareaberk@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I think we went over this one in the 'Can I tow it
> over the Mountains' thread (was that _here_ or on the
> 'Vex'?)
>
> Still, I was wondering what the odds where in the case
> of a decent 100HP or so Scirocco towing a shell, sans
> motor and perhaps a bit of the interior (Seats front
> and back) having been taken out.

Easy peasy...  It's the stopping part that presents a problem...  My
first tow w/ my old 81 workhorse was with a Uhaul dolly, and hauling
it down from highway speeds was downright scary.  That experience got
my mind working overtime on designing my aluminum electric braked
collapsible dolly, which has successfully hauled many-a-scirocco for a
shitload of miles.  How far are you hauling it?  Can you use backroads
and keep speeds below 50mph?  If you use a simple bumper mount towbar,
that would minimize extra weight as well (don't rent a Uhaul dolly -
they're ridiculously heavy).

HTH,

Mark.
75