What type refrigerant came on our cars? I too want my AC back

> Here's my .02:

For those of us with older, non functional a/c systems in the Scirococ, it
might not be as simple as rechargin the coolant and heading on your merry
way.
As other people have noted, the o-rngs can dry out/crack, leading to a loss
of coolant.  Then there are the problems with expansion valves and such....
In my car, the main problem is in the evaporator core - it's in the heater
box next to the heater core.  It's cracked, so the system will never hold a
charge.(all the coolant leaks out)  I've only ever found one online parts
place that had it, and it was a $400 part.  Then there's the troubl of
getting it in!  and then the trouble shooting begins to get the rest of the
system sorted out - vacum control flaps and such.
I'm sure it's do-able, and part of me would love to have it together for
cincy roadtrips, but I don't know that Ill ever get around to it.  In the
meantime, the a/c in the Jetta works  =)
I know the pain of driving a Scirocco in the summer w/o a/c and a black
leather interior!
Yeah, it'd be great if we could just groupbuy some cooant, recharge our
systems and be chilled out, but I'm not sure it's that simple.

GP