From: Mark F. [mailto:mk1mark@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, July 10, 2006 10:59 PM
To: Scirocco List
Subject: A/C "undelete" - parts needed for Waterfest delivery, and update...

<exit hibernation>

Hey guys, first an update:

I've managed to find some time to try this week to get my 82 on the
road - possibly/hopefully in time for Waterfest.  Today's "minor"
setbacks might get in the way of that deadline though - a couple
busted studs and stripped hole in a recently purchased 4-2 exhaust
manifold, plus overlooking a busted stud in a JH head I had lying
around has conspired to delay the ABA/JH/9A swap to replace the stock
seized 1.7L.  (Yup Mash - your non running issue might have something
to do with the fact that the pistons are stuck!.  That's a good thing
though, as the problem was most likely in the engine itself - nothing
an ABA/JH swap won't solve!)

Cathy came by today to deliver a knock box and lend a hand (thanks!),
but the plan for the day got all f-ed up with the busted stud
fiasco...  I pulled my friend Sean off the job for the day to help
out, and he was busy finding numerous loose and/or wrong bolts on the
donor ABA engine, and found one of the pressure plate bolts sheared
off (good thing I separated the tranny!)  Luckily it was sticking
slightly above the surface and I was able to grab it with a vise-grip
to remove it...  I have never seen an engine with this many 'hacks' to
it - the PO was a total butcher...  Cathy and I puttered around a bit,
but the day was far less productive that I had hoped...  Oh well, I'll
bust my ass to get it done this week - it was embarrassing enough
showing up to Waterfest last year in the ultimate Kia (a Toyota Echo),
and I'm scared at how much fuel I'll have to dump in my Kia truck to
get there this year...

I also I got my lightened flywheel re-balanced, as I had a nasty
vibration in my last ABA/JH swap that it lived in.  Sure enough, they
screwed up the first time - it was way out of balance.  Hopefully I'll
be able to rev it past 5000 rpm this time!   Can an imbalanced
flywheel cause a thrust bearing to wear out prematurely?  I blamed my
crazy amount of towing miles on the thrust bearing problem, but maybe
the flywheel had something to do with it?

SO, back to the subject - does anyone have the underhood A/C stuff in
decent condition (or most of it anyways)?  I'd like to re-install the
A/C system in the 82.  I'm not too familiar with A/C - strangely in
all the A1 VW's I've owned over the years I've never had A/C and any
that did went through a gutting of the system at one point...   Any
advice would be appreciated!  It appears everything is still under the
dash, but the large rubber line under the hood has been cut. (lower
metal line still there, as well as the dealie it goes to under the
washer bottle, but there's no other hose/line connected to the
dealie...)

I'll be showing up at Waterfest, either in my 82 or my pickup truck,
so if you're attending, or are on the way from Ontario and have any
parts I would need let me know!

Thanks!

Mark.
75